School Choice




Dawson County Schools

House Bill 251 Public School Choice Framework

Annual Choice Notification

Kilough Elementary School 

1063 Kilough Church Rd. Dawsonville, GA  30534




April 13, 2020


Dear Parent or Guardian:


Under HB 251, a parent or guardian of a student currently enrolled in the Dawson County School System may request to transfer the student to another public school in the school system for the 2020-2021 school year. Please refer to the Dawson County School System’s website for more information on the system’s guidelines for implementing HB251.

As a parent or guardian, you may request to have your child transferred to another public school within the school system as long as the system has determined that there is available classroom space at the school of request. Please keep in mind that if you choose to transfer your child to another school in the system, the law requires you to assume all costs and responsibilities related to the transportation of your child to and from the school as long as your child remains at that school. If a parent requests a transfer to a school that does not have the services required by the current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Individualized Accommodation Plan (IAP), HB 251 does not require the school to develop those services as long as they are available within the local school system.

Classroom space may be available at certain grade levels in the elementary schools. If transfer requests exceed the available space, then a lottery selection process will be utilized after the following criteria are satisfied:


1.      Students who are attending a school that is in any level of Needs Improvement

2.      Students who have a disability whose IEP or IAP requires placement at a particular school

3.      Students who are homeless

4.      Students who have programmatic needs that are only available at a certain school

5.      Students entitled to attend a certain school as a result of being children of employees


The system will accept new Out of Zone Transfer Requests for the 2020-2021 school year from April 13, 2020, until 5:00 p.m. on May 11, 2020. Parents will receive notification of approval or denial by email or standard U.S. mail on or before July 1, 2020.


Out of Zone Transfer Request Forms may be picked up at the school from which the student is seeking to transfer or be downloaded from website. Select the section for parents and click on School Choice HB251 to access the form online.


Complete this form only if you are moving out of the Kilough Elementary District and wish to remain at Kilough or you live in the Kilough district and wish to attend another elementary school in the county.


The completed form must be returned to the school of choice by the date shown above. No form will be accepted after this date.


If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at the number shown above or by email me at [email protected]






Teresa Conowal


Kilough Elementary



Out of Zone Transfer Request Form

Out of Zone Transfer Request Form

HB251Questions and Answers:

HB251 FAQs


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.